What Does Ragweed Look Like?

September 22, 2009

Ragweed
Perhaps the raggedy shaped leaves give ragweed its name (see ragweed photo below).

Fall Allergies
When goldenrod is blooming, ragweed is also out. Although there are no showy flowers, ragweed pollen causes sinus allergies in many people. Do you have allergic reactions in the fall? The ragweed pollen travels far in the air, but it might help to uproot ragweed if you have it growing on your property.

Ragweed

Ragweed

AllergyStore.com (drugstore.com)

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to What Does Ragweed Look Like?

1. KG
    September 24, 2009 at 10:56 am

I have severe fall allergies. Maybe this weekend you can uproot all the ragweed on our property.

2. September 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Sounds good. This picture was taken across from our driveway.

3. May 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Most allergies can be treated by corticosteroids and also some antihistamine blockers..’.

4. July 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm

to treat my allergies, i just take in some antihistamines like claritin,;’

5. September 6, 2010 at 11:29 am

I am seven years old and I am alergic to ragweeds and it,s making me loose my voise .

6. September 6, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for your comments. Hailey, I hope you are feeling better soon. When we get some rain soon that will help flush the pollen from the air.

7. Jojo
    September 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm

If you don’t have luck with allergy meds like antihistamines and you don’t want to take steriods because of all the side effects, acupuncture has done wonders for me and I have my kids doing it now too. No side effects with that and it is very relaxing.

8. admin
    September 9, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Jojo, thanks for the tip. I don’t know anything about acupuncture, but I suppose it might work…

9. December 4, 2010 at 3:40 am

allergies can be a menacing sickness specially if you get stuffy nose and rashes all overy your body each day “*”

10. Rachel
    June 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm

My son is so allergic to rag weed that he gets welts from the pollen. His eyes swell, he gets so stuffy that he cannot breathe at all through his nose and it only take a few minutes. I had no idea what it looked like. I couldn’t figure out why sometimes when we would ride our horses that he would start to have an allergy attack and sometimes he wouldn’t. The more research I did the more I found out and timed it when the ragweed was blooming.

11. admin
    June 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Rachel, sorry to hear about your son’s allergies. I think ragweed is fall issue, but there are a lot of other pollens out there as well.

Thanks for your comment!

12. Jessica
    October 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

Regarding the September 6th posting by S.P. Glass, I wanted to mention something I learned on NPR’s Science Friday in April 2010. The show segment talked about how contrary to popular belief that pollen is “washed away” when it rains, pollen has the ability to sort of fold up to conserve itself when it is dry and the rain actually rehydrates it, opening the particle back up again. So while you might have some relief from airborne pollen while it is actively precipitating; as soon as it stops, dormant pollen springs back to life and can be more prevalent than before it started raining.

13. admin
    October 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Very interesting… I hadn’t know that. Thanks a lot for posting!