Mysterious Scat Found Near Bedford | Old Dominion Wildlife

Mysterious Scat Found Near Bedford

October 9, 2009

Reader G.H. submitted three photos of unidentified scat. A couple of photos almost look like cow pies to me, but assuming the photographs were not taken in a field with cows, I think black bear scat is a likely possibility.

Just like with humans, the appearance of animal droppings is affected by the health and diet of the one who makes the deposit. The traditional bear scat image contains berries, but it can look quite different depending on what the animal ate prior to digestion.

Do you have a theory to explain the mysterious photos below? We value your opinion!

Bedford Scat Image 1

Bedford Scat Image 1

Unidentified Scat Image 2

Unidentified Scat Image 2

Mysterious Scat Image 3

Mysterious Scat Image 3

Tags:

6 Responses to Mysterious Scat Found Near Bedford

1. October 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Update sent from G.H.: “I think the mystery has been solved. My uncle, who owns the adjacent part of the property, and who is a huge hunter, has sighted bear on the property. My brother, who also hunts, actually saw the same scat while recently visiting the property and feels certain it belonged to bear as well. On the day of the discovery, I knew that my brother had a deer stand in the vicinity so I had taken my camera to explore just in case deer was in the area and had stumbled upon the scat most likely after he had discovered it. Anyway, thanks for posting the pics.”

2. Jon
    October 19, 2009 at 2:52 pm

the question is…did you keep the quarter?

3. admin
    October 22, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Good question!

4. amanda
    February 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I have a scat question for you which I’m hoping your experience and ‘Scat and Tracks’ book can help me with it. I came upon numerous samples of an unusually shaped scat in Window Rock Arizona last week. I asked a local about it and they assumed it was cow or horse but having lived in a farming community most of my life, I feel very comfortable in saying that it is like no ‘pie’ I’ve seen before.
    Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to paste my pooh pics into this reply message so describing them, I would say they were often as long as an adult arm but coiled somewhat. The consistency of them did not betray fur or seeds or any distinct qualities. The most unusual part is the shape which is like stacked discs around 2 inches across. It reminds me of rattlesnake rattles. If you email me, I can respond with two specimen photos. Hope you know what animal this is from.

5. bryan
    February 17, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Looks exactly like bear scat we see here from bears feeding on acorns.

6. March 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm