March 2013 Virginia Mountain Lion Update

March 23, 2013

Eyes in the Night (probably deer)

Eyes in the Night (probably deer)

Here is a roundup of a recent mountain lion reports and opinions:

From K.A.:

In mid-Dec. 2012 we heard frightening cats screams in our woods, like nothing we have ever heard before. Our house cats were terrified. Yesterday my husband saw the paw prints and are having them analyzed. Powhatan, Va.

From L.K.:

I live outside of the village of Orlean, Virginia on 10 acres which is a very small homesite in this rural area. About 9pm on December 14th, I was walking my dogs behind my house at the edge of woods when I heard something I had only heard on TV. It sounded like a VERY large cat but I wasn’t sure. My husband played several calls on his computer for me to identify. About the fifth one, he played the exact call that I heard. Only then did he tell me I had identified a couger.

From D.C.:

There is a mountain lion caught on a game cam dragging a 8 point buck in mendotta, Va. Personally seen

From Zak:

Reports of Mountain Lion in Grundy, Va

From Michelle:

A mountain lion was spotted recently in Cross Junction, VA. I did not see it…but the news was reported in our community newsletter.

From Laurie:

I saw a mountain lion along hwy. 7 near Bluemont, VA in Nov. 2012. I was on my way to the Obama/Clinton/Dave Matthews rally. At first, I thought it was a dear, but as I approached, could see that it was a mountain lion. It was crouching underneath the guard rail. I’m assuming there may have been some road kill there. I could see the muscles in it’s shoulders.

From Nathan:

I have not seen a big cat but I certainly heard what I believe to have been a cougar in August 2012 in the woods behind my house. I have a hard time believing it could have been anything but a big cat.

I live in southern Franklin County, VA and frequently see coyotes and recently had a very large black bear walk out of the woods and right up my driveway. So, the predators, and prey, are plentiful. No doubt a cougar could be fat and happy around here.

From Cat:

My husband saw one in the back of our field in 2007 in Jeffersonton – which is not very far from Amissville. I firmly believe that we are in a mountain lion’s territory and that they exist here in Northern Culpeper/Fauquier/Rappahannock county. I don’t believe what the Wildlife officials state in dismissing the existence of Mountain Lions/Cougars/Panthers in our Commonwealth. They deny the existence because they would then qualify for endangered species status and would need habitat to be maintained.

I think that the re-introduction of elk and wolves into the Commonwealth points to the knowledge that Wildlife officials have of Mountain Lions in our area. Wolves and bears are two of the only “predators” of the mountain lion. Also, they never caught the mountain lion and black panther that were sighted outside of Andrews AFB years ago so we may have black panther DNA reintroduced into the area as well.

From Luke:

I’m from abingdon va and do a lot of fishing around tumbling creek. Me and a friend was wading up the river and the fish was bitting good in one area so we stopped for an hour or so and there was a tree that fell in the river about ten yards from me when I saw what I kno was a mt lion jump up on the tree walk down to the water got a drink and walked back up in the woods. Very scary.

From Sarah:

I was at my father-n-law’s in Dickenson County and sitting on the porch one night and a very large black cat what I consider a Panther walked right around the front of the porch sneaking around to the side. The very next day the dogs were going crazy and it was screaming up in the woods behind the house.

And one from the skeptical point of view…

From Richard:

Sorry, but I respectfully don’t believe it. I do suppose there could be the occassional released or escaped pet, but not a population. Cougars are treed by dogs. Its how they are hunted.
with the number of dogs running and treeing animals in Virginia in the hunting seasons, don’t we suppose at least one in the past 30 years would have been treed? Eyes play tricks.

See Also:

December 2012 Update

Are Eastern Cougars Extinct or Not?

Free Eastern Mountain Lions Book

Mountain Lion Book Reviews

Tags:

12 Responses to March 2013 Virginia Mountain Lion Update

1. June 22, 2013 at 8:47 am

Is a single wild cougar roaming free across central Virginia?? That question continues to haunt this veteran cougar researcher, who has responded to dozens of citizen & professional observations since Summer 2004, when tracks were ID. Since March 2012, at least 1 PUMA has repeatedly been reported in Chesterfield, Amelia, Surry, Sussex, Essex, Suffolk, Middlesex, Gloucester & King William Counties. Further South, motorists have reported seeing cougars along U.S. Rte 17 in North Carolina’s Great Dismal Swamp which could account for the sightings in SE Virginia’s Tidewater Counties…

2. Larry Campbell.
    July 31, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I’m from Allegheny County Virginia. 2 days ago my friend was checking his trail cam What was on there truly amazed Him.It was a mountain lion.And apparently the big cat Has been attacking goats.This is not the first report of the mountain lion that I have to contribute.A few years ago My friend had me a Kodak picture Of a white mountain lion That he took on Potts mountain.2 years ago my brother Joe,my step dad and a fsmily friend went on A hunting trip on Peters mountain.It was late at night They were coming off the mountain.When this big cat comes at them.They shine the spotlight at itAnd it was a mountain lion.They spooked it off.the cougar followed them out of woods until they got to the vehicle

3. David Earnest
    August 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm

My wife and I were driving down Love Road from the Blue Ridge Parkway on Aug.8,2013 at about 6PM. A Very large cat came out of the bush on the left of my truck and quick walked across the road in front us. The light was good there was no fog or shadow or any of the ways to excuse this sighting. It took about 3 to 4 seconds for it to cross the road. He or she was right in front of the truck and this was no Bobcat. I reported this to the fellows that work at B&R grocery and they told me that he had been seen a number of times in that area. This is about 5 miles above Sherando Lake. The cat was a golden brown or tan. Very large and healthy looking. Dave.

4. Paul
    August 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I saw what was clearly a mountain lion drinking from a bird bath in the High Knob neighborhood in Front Royal, VA. September of 2011 and again 2 days later near where the AT crosses CCC Road in Linden. These areas are only a few miles apart. I haven’t seen another before or since in this area.

5. t. huffman
    September 27, 2013 at 10:22 pm

No doubt. I saw one tonight at approximately 10 pm on I 77 Fancy Gap grade. 25 year LE veteran.

6. Eric
    October 10, 2013 at 8:11 pm

10/08/13 I heard appox. 25 yards from my deck clearly a frightened mountain lion in the Gore, Va area. Some say bobcats sound like a baby crying. This certainly was larger than a baby…………

7. Al
    October 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I saw one, I don’t remember the year but I will never forget where. It was eating a roadkill deer very near Prince William Forest Park and Quantico MCB. I was driving home from work and it looked up at me from the deer carcass when I was about 200 yards away. I noticed something special in the way its eyes moved up from the road and fixated on my headlights. When I was closer, maybe 75 yards and closing it stood up and turned sideways to me. Then it gently jumped over the ditch into the woods. The animal was pretty massive to be moving with such grace. The tail was as long as the body – it was nearly as big around as a soda can and moved like a big rope to balance the body as it leaped the ditch and landed softly on the other side.

8. Al
    October 14, 2013 at 8:14 pm

For clarification, I think it was around 2007 when I saw mine, somewhere between 2005 and 2007 based on where I was living and working when I saw it.

9. Sherando Girl
    December 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I have lived in Sherando/Love for 36 years and have never seen a Mountain Lion..

10. Jeffrey Mohr
    December 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm

@ sherando Girl, I live in Montebello VA, just up the Parkway from Sherando/Love. I have a photo of a Mountain Lion during daylight taken back in October 2013. Anybody thats want to see the pic can email me at jeffreysmohr@yahoo.com. The Parkway is protected federal land with thousands of acres of no hunting pressure. @ the people who say the dogs run during deer season… Not in Nelson County. Most dog hunters train their dogs for a specific animal deer/bear/coon/etc, so they wont track a Mt. Lion unless they were trained to do so.

11. diane turner
    February 10, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Two black cat sightings seen in faber/ twin populars. Possibly same cat. Large cat very large my friend says.