October, November, December 2015 Mountain Lions in Virginia Update | Old Dominion Wildlife

October, November, December 2015 Mountain Lions in Virginia Update

January 7, 2016
Low Clouds at Manassas Gap

What Wanders the Hills?

Evidence of Eastern Mountain Lions

The skeptics always say that if there were mountain lions in the eastern U.S., then there would be evidence in the form of road kills and trail camera pictures. Well, there was recently a road kill in Connecticut and a trail cam picture in Tennessee. We also have evidence in the form of a mountain lion shot in Kentucky.

I collect and publish Virginia mountain lion reports on this site. The following reports/comments were received over the past three months:

TNB writes on 10/08/2015:

My wife and I were driving on The Blue Ridge Parkway from Peaks of Otter to Rocky Knob when we rounded a corner and saw a large 100lb plus cat with a long tail. It stood 2 1/2 feet or more tall.

Lisa O. writes on 10/22/2015:

Last week, close to 3pm, I saw a large black cat-like animal streaking through medium dense woods. It was so fast that I barely got more than two glimpses of it’s hunched back as it bounded in and out of low tree limbs. I live in a gated community in McLean, VA that has typical wildlife expected for this region (fox, geese…) and residents keep their dogs on leashes. I’ve lived in this town my entire life and on this property for 20yrs and never have seen a wildcat, moreover a solid black one. This cat was the size of a large shepherd dog but it’s movement was that of a pouncing cat that covered a span of maybe 15ft in the blink of an eye.

Anne writes on 10/28/2015:

It’s nice to have some validation of cougar sightings in The Louisa area. I thought I was going crazy when I saw one yesterday evening. I was driving home around 5:30pm on Elk Creek Road in Mineral when I saw it from behind, chasing a baby cow. It was large, tan colored, and had a long tail. I’m tempted to tell the farmer who owns the property and ask if he’s missing any black, baby cows.

Cassidy C. writes on 11/13/2015:

One was seen in Fork Union this week. Not only is there a Facebook picture of it floating around, but someone I know saw it at a bus stop on route 650, I believe, in Fluvanna County. It seemed to fixate on the young child waiting for the bus. I advised the parents to wait for the bus in their car and should they encounter the cat again, not to turn their back on it and run, unless it makes an aggressive move. Scary stuff.

Leslie W. writes on 12/26/2015:

On December 23, 2015 at about 11 PM my husband and heard an unbelievably loud screeching type scream down by our creek. We got a flashlight out and looked from our deck in time to see 2 large glowing eyes. The animal was moving along the creek. It continued its screaming for about 15 minutes. It finally ran up and over the hill behind our house. We live in Loudoun County, west of Leesburg in a rural area. We are convinced it was a cougar/ mountain lion. We searched for prints the next morning but because it was raining, we didn’t find any.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to October, November, December 2015 Mountain Lions in Virginia Update

1. Danielle
    July 1, 2016 at 8:56 pm

This afternoon I took to searching the web after a possible mountain lion sighting and thinking I was going crazy! Thank goodness I found this page. I am also from Gloucester and live in the Ware Neck area. Around 8:45 tonight I was driving into town and came around a corner to see a 100lb+ cat that was trotting down the road. When I pulled up next to him and tried to snap a picture, but he jumped in the woods. What gave him away was the short hair and long tail with a black tip. I lived out in Colorado and have seen mountain lions prior, it really took me a second when I came up on it to realize what I was seeing.

2. CL
    July 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm

There was a report on the local tv station WHSV of a cougar attack near Humpback Mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Since the story there has been no updates.

3. July 6, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Thank you both. I’ll have to write up another article soon. Will be interesting if they can figure out more about the attack.

4. July 6, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Actually, the attack sounds like it was a bobcat (probably rabid): http://www.newsleader.com/story/news/local/2016/07/04/victim-animal-attack-treated-rabies/86675464/

5. NORM PIXLEY
    August 11, 2016 at 7:31 am

On Aug 8, 2016 at about 8:30AM my wife and I saw a mountain lion crossing the road at rt 695 and rt 43 north of Peaks of Otter, Va. He was only about 40 yards away and stopped for a moment and then walked hurriedly away back into the woods he came out of. We are 100 percent positive this was a mountain lion. We are guessing he weighed about a 100lbs or more. Our cameras were both in their cases otherwise we would have had plenty of time to get a picture.

6. August 12, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Since 1967, we have been “On The Trail” of wild free-roving cougars-pumas-mountain lions, each 1 & same wildlife species, traveling free across each of the Mid-Atlantic States. Since 1967, 100s of tracks have been found by eye-witnesses & documented by trackers-biologists and zoologists. Follow the trails, as we continue to investigate each reported event by reading our tri-yearly newsletter, Eastern Puma Network News, which deals with sightings being reported across the eastern 1/2 of our United States of America.

7. v. cheatwood
    October 27, 2016 at 12:03 pm

hello, I live in ararat va and believe I may have spotted some kind of big cat. 2 or 3 months ago while riding atv a large animal went across trail in front of me about 100 feet. i only saw rear of animal but it was brown with long tail and thought at the time it moved like cat. the tail was slender and rather darkish.

this week my wife and I were riding near same area and we saw same animal crossing our drive maybe 150 feet away. I got a better look of the animal maybe 24-28′ TALL with long thin tail, darkish. also body was rather thin. the body appeared to be approx. 36″ long with tail of about 22-25″ long. we have discussed this much… she got best look at it and said it wasn’t dog, it is the same animal I saw before. neither of us got look at face but we both asked what kind of animal is that?

8. Ted Mattingly
    April 9, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I believe I have video of Mountain lion in my back yard in Leesburg VA. Taken at approx 7:30pm on 12/31/2016.

9. BAR
    April 3, 2018 at 10:20 am

Relatives spotted a mountain lion outside their house in Hamilton-Loudoun County, not far from Leesburg on 3/23/18. Said it was big, and just stared, until it ran off. Property is partially wooded, and would be considered rural. Cows nearby, as well as chickens, dogs, etc