January – September 2016 Mountain Lions in Virginia News & Reports

October 2, 2016

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been wanting to do these more frequently, but I finally had time for an update. Here are the reports I’ve seen of mountain lions in Virginia and nearby states during 2016 thus far:

Tabatha writes on 01/20/2016:

I seen one in WV on Interstate 64w near White Sulphur Springs WV. It leaped across two lanes into the medium into the woods. It was the wildest and most beautiful creature I’d ever seen. I remember also seeing its tail touch edge of Rd. This was several years ago. Maybe 10.

John G. writes on 02/01/2016:

I have seen one in front of my property twice in the last year and it is blackish gray. Also, I was told by a young woman that cut my hair that there was one found dead on their property that they use for hunting in Buckingham County this year.

Dave writes on 02/06/2016:

I saw what I believed to be a mountain lion south of Loft Mountain wayside on the Skyline Drive around 2:30 PM today 2/6/16. It was much larger than a bobcat which I have seen before on SLD. It came down a hill crossed the road and jumped a stone wall and down a steep slope about a hundred yards or so in front of me. It was definitely cat shaped. Long and low to the ground with a rounded head and long tail. It was brownish in color. In 40 plus years of traveling the drive I never saw anything shaped like this. My first thought was mountain lion then I started surfing the web and ran a cross these postings. Really neat to read. Thought I would share my experience.

Dan writes on 02/10/2016:

Definitely saw one tonight in Prince George County. Reminds me of my youth in Oklahoma…

Article “Cougars are Back In Tennessee To Stay” from 02/15/2016 [Tennessee]:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – With two sightings confirmed just last week, TWRA wildlife officers said cougars are back in Tennessee…

Monte S. writes on 05/22/2016 [Maryland]:

I live in Wicomico county Delmar MD. eastern shore. I saw a cougar May 20 2016 23:00 at the intersection on Brown Road and Dagsboro Road. It was a lion and not a cat. It was crossing a large yard. The look it gave me made chills go up my back. The area is next to a large pond and Canada geese raise young there. I remembered a few nights early at midnight (same pond) coming home from work the geese with young were in the road as if moving from something. Geese do not move on the ground at night unless frightened.

Jeff writes on 06/26/2016:

Large 7 foot mountain lion spotted just outside Lexington Va in Rockbridge County

My wife spotted a large mountain lion chasing a rabbit as both the lion and the rabbit crossed the gravel road near our home 1 1/2 miles from the south city limits of Lexington Va

Danielle writes on 07/01/2016:

This afternoon I took to searching the web after a possible mountain lion sighting and thinking I was going crazy! Thank goodness I found this page. I am also from Gloucester and live in the Ware Neck area. Around 8:45 tonight I was driving into town and came around a corner to see a 100lb+ cat that was trotting down the road. When I pulled up next to him and tried to snap a picture, but he jumped in the woods. What gave him away was the short hair and long tail with a black tip. I lived out in Colorado and have seen mountain lions prior, it really took me a second when I came up on it to realize what I was seeing.

Bernadette writes on 07/02/2016:

My friend Kate and I just returned from Old Rag this morning after planning the perfect sunrise hike to the summit. Due to the time of day we hiked three miles up the fire road as we began arc3:05 am. At 4:23 am Kate stopped dead in her tracks not ten feet from a pair of glowing eyes. We both started walking backward slowly and making a lot of noise but the cat maintained eye contact. We continued to walk backward slowly until we lost sight of it. A mile later on our swift walk back to the car we notice the same cat off to our right tracking us. This was when we were very worried. It was ahead of us on the right and deeper in the woods than before. We talked and clapped loudly all the way back to the car.

Norm P. writes on 08/11/2016:

On Aug 8, 2016 at about 8:30AM my wife and I saw a mountain lion crossing the road at rt 695 and rt 43 north of Peaks of Otter, Va. He was only about 40 yards away and stopped for a moment and then walked hurriedly away back into the woods he came out of. We are 100 percent positive this was a mountain lion. We are guessing he weighed about a 100lbs or more. Our cameras were both in their cases otherwise we would have had plenty of time to get a picture.

Heinz W. writes on 08/20/2016:

Last night (1:15 am) I was driving home from Florida to NJ. Right around Harrisonburg on 81 a rather large reddish brown animal crossed 81 about 20-25 feet in front of my car. It was amazingly fast. It went so fast that it was hard to make out but it definitely had the stride of a large cat. That long pouncing stride when they sprint. That area was 2 lanes plus about a 6 foot shoulder on each sides with woods on each side beyond the shoulder. It was going so quick it was probably only about 3 strides to cross the highway. I found this site by looking to see what it could have been.

Bruce H. writes on 08/22/2016:

At about 5:30 PM i saw a Mountian Lion. In our back yard, on the edge of the woods. I live in Bedford.

R.P. writes on 09/12/2016:

I was told by a ranger in the geo wash nat forest that a lion was struck by a car near the park entrance in August, non-fatal

Tags: , , , , ,

3 Responses to January – September 2016 Mountain Lions in Virginia News & Reports

1. October 6, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Reports of big cats, have increased during 2016. Most recent sightings have been in Virginia and Pennsylvania. On August 30th, received a report at (304-749-7778, of a likely mountain lion, (long tail seen) crossing State Route 55, going uphill just west of Star Tannery…#2) report along Rt. 211 near Luray, ‘lion loped across road’, seen by a westcoast hunter, visiting family…

2. October 22, 2016 at 2:54 pm

more new sightings of likely WILD, free-roaming, native cougars-mountain lions-pumas are being reported across Virginia and nearby states…call in your reports to 304-749-7778 or epuma@frontier.com

3. Mike Mclean, VA
    December 26, 2016 at 7:11 am

I am part of a security team at a 15 acre compound in Mclean, VA. We are located by the Fort Marcy park. Today is Dec. 26th, 2016. Over the last 3 weeks, several members of our team have reported to have seen a large cat approximately 85-100lbs, tan in color, stalking them while doing our nightly patrols. We have seen them both outside of our fences as well as inside our property. Tracks have been found as well, and after referring to internet, they belong to a mountain lion. Our CCTV operators have also confirmed these sightings on the monitors. There was even one occasion last week, where 4 members of our security team had eyes on the cat at the same time. Nobody was close enough to get a cell phone picture in the dark, and as they approached it from all angles, it was able to cross Chain Bridge Rd and enter Fort Marcy park.